Thursday, November 15, 2007

A rare encounter of the surreal

The rain wouldn’t let up. In seconds, the walkway towards this small booth was swarmed and all lined up by people, wet and tired, all agog to get their turn. And they sure didn't look any happy. Not even if you attempt to cheer them up with your witty jokes and funny antics. To me, I needed to gather my humor for a while and stay quiet for as long as I could lest I might have triggered the hell out of them. That, I think, would be really really ugly- would it?

And comes my turn. And suddenly I was excited. As I was busy pounding the buttons in the machine, I was caught up by the sudden bang of the door. A middle aged women, dressed in uniform all color synchronized, and no less wet like the rest of us, walked in. Looking like all in a hurry with all her baggage which told me she might have just come from the market, I politely gave way. Out of respect, of pity? I don’t know. And frankly I can’t really say that I cared. And so while there, with my arms crossed waiting for seemed like eternity, she suddenly looked at me straight in the eye. In that instance, I know she’s in some sort of a problem. And so, I needed to finish what I started, my being agood samaritan had to be extended a little longer and so I tried to help her. Her problem is very simple, she is afraid of the sound of the ATM machine. She can’t read whatever it is there in the little screen that we all pay attention to each time we get money and she just couldn't figure out how to start and finish each transaction.

Suddenly I felt like I was a messenger of God. That is a feeling you don’t really feel everyday, do you? So, here we have a professional degree holder. Woman of the noblest of profession- and she is in trouble. Icouldn't figure out why initially but the point is-she is.

In the days that follow, during the on site inspection of the Tarlac State University Team, which includes me, I met her again, all bright eyed, and I was quite sure then, with that look, that she remembered me alright-pretty much. Not that I am embarrassed. But the thing is, I never thought I could encounter that sort of experience. It’s very surreal.

As the conversation and the inspection went on, she finally popped the big question. What were we doing in their school which is too far away from where we met, where the only technologically appropriate transportation system possible to use to get us to their school is a peddy cab or, if willing, a long brisk walk, I blurted out with utter disdain, “We’ll train you to teach using the computer.”

Suddenly, I felt like I was struck by a freezing cold air. For God sake, she can’t even use the ATM machine.

It worries me really. I am not sure if that’s about the possibility of bumping into her again or the idea of putting her through that similar humiliating experience again.
This sends a clear mesage to us all. What we are doing here is not going to be easy. The challenge is there. The bar is set too high. After all, whoever said it going to be easy?

No comments: